[c-nsp] GRE packets drop

Alex Wa awain567 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 11:54:25 EDT 2008

Thanks Paul,

  We're using a management tool that sends an icmp echo request every 10 seconds, through the tunnel and outside the tunnel. the source address of packet not going through the tunnel is the same as the tunnel interface. I've been trying to see any pattern in the packet loss but didn't find anything that should be considered definitive or conclusive, but noted though, that after midnight there is a slight decrease in the packet loss, which increase later at morning hours. CPU and memory usage is normal, as OSPF timers (default). We've instructed the IT staff at remote side to gather more information from their ISP to try to figure out what's going on.

  alejandro

Paul Cosgrove <paul.cosgrove at heanet.ie> wrote:
  Hi Alex,

You mentioned changing the MTU on one interface, but to get a full
adjacency this would of course need to on both routers (or set OSPF to
ignore MTU values). I guess this is what you meant.
Intermittent loss of small packets does not sound like an MTU problem
though.

When you ping across without using the tunnel, are you using the source
and destination IP addresses which are configured on the tunnel? If
parallel links and load sharing are used anywhere along the path the
src/dst ip details may affect which link your pings traverse (and one
could be dropping packets).

If a hundred or so two hundred byte test pings do not show any errors,
and if there is nothing unusual about the tunnel routers (e.g. high cpu,
very low ospf timers or uplinks exceeding their provisioned rate), then
it would be worth checking if the problem occurs any more frequently
during working hours. There might be a QoS misconfiguration somewhere
along the transit path.

Are you using any form of encryption on this traffic? Something to
consider once the packet loss is resolved perhaps.

Paul.