[c-nsp] DWDM over CWDM

Tomas Hlavacek tomas.hlavacek at elfove.cz
Tue Jun 24 16:27:22 EDT 2008

Hello!

I have a question about WDM which is maybe offtopic here but I do not
know any better place to ask.

Is it possible to connect DWDM transceivers (XENPAK for instance) to
CWDM MUXes on both sides of 10Km optical fiber, assuming that wavelength
of DWDM transceiver is in the middle of a particular 20nm CWDM wavelengh
window? Will this setup work? And is there any danger? I mean, it is
possible to damage something - notably MUXes or transceivers?

For better understanding, this is my situation: I have one leased CWDM
lambda, now working with 1Gbps Ethernet SFPs and I need an easy upgrade
to 10Gbps.

Thanks!
Tomas

--