[c-nsp] Cisco Optimized ACL Logging (OAL)

Sukumar Subburayan (sukumars) sukumars at cisco.com
Tue Jun 24 22:34:47 EDT 2008

To answer your main questions.

1. Is OAL really going to help me that much?

   There are two benefits of OAL.
    1.  OAL improves performance from traditional logging which is done at process level, by around 10 folks, with processing done at interrupt level.
         So, you probably can expect around 20Kpps (instead of 3-4 Kpps) with CPU around 30-40%.
    2. With OAL logged packet is forwarded in hardware, while the copy is sent for logging purposes only, and consumed by the RP. So, in other words
        forwarding of the actual packet is done in HW. A copy is sent for logging purposes. Without OAL, the packet is logged & and forwarded in software at
        process level.

2. Any caveats/tradeoffs:
    Since, OAL uses some HW resource on the EARL (PFC/DFC) forwarding engine, if there are other conflicting features, you cannot use it. OAL & VACL capture,
    cannot work together. So, if you need VACL capture, you cannot use OAL.

sukumar