[c-nsp] Failover questions (ASA)

Nimal David Sirimanne nimal at fnbs.net
Wed Jun 25 23:35:34 EDT 2008

Ah, never thought of that. We'll deffinately try this out. Thank you
very much!

Christian Koch wrote:
> Hello Nimal -
>
> you can use redundant interfaces with 802.1q and have link from fw1 to
> sw1 and sw2 and vice versa
>
> so fw1 active interface is connected to switch 1 and standby interface
> connect to switch 2, fw2 active interface to switch 2 and standby
> interface to switch 1, this way if fw1 and sw2 fail, fw2 standby
> interface becomes active to switch 1
>
> hope this helps
>
> -christian
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM, Nimal David Sirimanne <nimal at fnbs.net
> <mailto:nimal at fnbs.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     We;'re trying to setup a network with 2 Cisco ASA (5510) and 2
>     Cisco 2950 switches. In event that any firewall kaputs, the other
>     will take over (we havent decided on active/active or
>     active/standby configuration yet). Also, all the servers on the
>     internal network are performing "network teaming" , so even if one
>     switch dies, traffic will pass through other traffic
>
>     FW1 -- SW1 --|
>     | | FW2 -- SW2 --|
>
>     My question is, what if for some freak reason FW1 AND SW2 dies
>     simultaneously. In this scenario, network is totally down unless
>     we do some manual recabling. I understand that this might never
>     ever happen, but i would like to see how i can plan for this,
>     because this network is to be deployed in a remote location, where
>     there might not be any IT people around to assist.
>
>     Appreciate any advise, or ideas on this. Thanks!

Best Regards,

*Nimal David Sirimanne*
*IT Assistant Manager*
Free Net Business Solutions Sdn Bhd

Tel: 603-78041517 Fax: 603-78041573 (Sales)
Tel: 603-83182000 Fax: 603-83189001 (24x7 Call Center)
URL:_www.fnbs.net <http://www.fnbs.net/>_

/WCIT2008
/ 	*

“ FREENET* - *the Data Center Service Provider for WCIT 2008* *“*

**
*Certified ISO 27001:2005 | Microsoft Gold Certified Partner | **IBM
Business Partner*

Cyberjaya | Kuala Lumpur | Hong Kong | China | United States |

Disclaimer:
Confidential Information contained in this message. If you are not the
intended addressee indicated in this message, you may not copy or
deliver this message to anyone without the permission of the sender. In
such case, you should destroy this message, and notify sender immediately.

Thank You