[c-nsp] BGP sessions won't establish.

Ian MacKinnon ian.mackinnon at lumison.net
Thu Jun 26 04:04:46 EDT 2008

ebgp multihop?
Can you see the ttl in the traces?

Roy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are working with a new ISP for service. This one is via metro
> ethernet. They require two BGP sessions. One goes between the ends of
> the ethernet. The other BGP session is between a loopback interface on
> our router and a loopback interface on one of the ISP's other routers.
>
> The first session comes up just fine but the second one using loopback
> interfaces will not establish. I did some packet traces using a Linux
> box and tcpdump and it would seem that the packets from our loopback
> session go into the metro ethernet and disappear. When their router
> tries to connect, the packets arrive and responses are sent but they too
> seem to be ignored.
>
> The ISP blames us of course. I told them the packets seem to be going
> out the switch port to the metro ethernet.
> Has anyone seem such a problem? Is there some strange magic limit to the
> number of peers or something?
>
> Roy

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison and nPlusOne.
presence of viruses.  Lumison and nPlusOne accept no liability for any