[c-nsp] 7200 upgrade from 12.2(25)S8

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Mon Jun 30 23:50:35 EDT 2008

I've got 12.2(25)S8 on various 7200 NPE-G1 and NPE-400 boxes in core and edge NSP roles.  The last NPE-400 is about to get upgraded to a G1 or G2.

This OS has been rock-solid for years.  I'm using the routers for various combinations of mpls ldp/bgp vpn, ip4, ip6, bgp, ospf, multilink, ethernet, POS, mac-accounting, netflow, and that's really about it.  Nothing new or overly complicated.

I was hoping to get some use of the second G1 CPU core, some of the boxes could use more power, mostly for BGP rescans in the face of increasing traffic loads.  And possibly newer ip6 code (i barely use it now, but things are heading in that direction.)

Any recommendations for a newer version?  Or, if it aint broke, don't fuck with it?  Did Cisco ever use both cores of the G1?

Chris