[c-nsp] Logging remote access logins

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Mar 5 02:17:07 EST 2008

Aaron R <> wrote on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 7:15 AM:

> Is there an easy way to log remote access login attempts on the cisco
> kit? I see there is a way to enable configuration change logs but I
> don't see an option to log accepted logins / failed logins etc.

what type of login access are you referring to? Telnet/SSH exec logins,
or PPP/PAP/CHAP logins? How does your current AAA config look like?

If you're concerned about exec logins, you can use aaa accounting:

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs
aaa accounting send stop-record authentication failure

the 2nd command causes the box to log failed attempts as well. Not sure
if that is such a good idea, you can always use log capabilities on your
backend (i.e. Tacacs server) to find out.

For PPP users, use "aaa accounting network default ..."

	oli