[c-nsp] Large File Transfers

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca
Wed Mar 5 10:30:18 EST 2008

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Giles Coochey wrote:

>> Not 100% Cisco related, but supported by Cisco technology ultimately.
> We
>> have the need to consistently share large files (250MB - 5GB) across
> many
>> sites and geographies, and securely. FTP is commonly used, but do

It depends.  I'm experimenting with Bittorent on ftp.nrc.ca to districute
CDs plus I am also tuning my stacks to deal with large file transmissions
over greater distances.  So far the results are promising.  You could try
Bittorent over some sort of SSH tunnel, though that isn't something I have
investigated yet.

> Rsync is interesting if you have large trees of files rather than large
> individual files. I'm unsure how the delta works on a single large file.

It's fairly quick, but experimentation with the local setup is a must.

wfms