[c-nsp] Large File Transfers

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Mar 5 11:36:53 EST 2008

Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Mike wrote:
>
>> Not 100% Cisco related, but supported by Cisco technology ultimately. We
>> have the need to consistently share large files (250MB - 5GB) across many
>> sites and geographies, and securely. FTP is commonly used, but do other
>> companies utilize different technologies to support this need - yousendit,
>> SCP shells, anything. Rather ambiguous I know, but just looking for ideas
>> ultimately to further investigations.
>
> Depending on the nature of your business, transfers using encryption might
> be a necessity for company policy or regulatory compliance (HIPAA, GLB,
> SOX, etc) reasons.  That leaves you with SCP/SFTP and IPSEC.

Or, if applicable and permissible by any legal requirements placed on
you, encrypting the content prior to transmission over an unencrypted or
lightly encrypting path; then perform integrity checks and verify
MD5sums.  Of course that depends on whether transfer speeds are a
greater bottleneck than CPU and drive space resources on both ends.

Justin