[c-nsp] broadcast/multicast suppression in C2948G switch

Jimmy Halim jimmy at pacnet.net
Thu Mar 6 02:53:23 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Recently, I experiencing a continuos %SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Astro - timeout error
on the C2948G switch log.

For example:
2008 Mar 05 11:07:32 UTC +00:00 %SYS-4-P2_WARN: 1/Astro(2/2) - timeout
occurred

The CPU was high as well during that time. At the end, it was found that one
of switch port (which is connected to one of our customer) was sending tons
of broadcast/multicast to us. The CPU utilization dropped and errors were
stop rite after that switch port was bouncing.

Any idea how to suppress broadcast/multicast in C2948G switch?
>From the following URL, it seems that C2948G switch doesn't support
broadcast/multicast suppression.
 <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/catos/6.x/conf>
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst5000/catos/6.x/configur