[c-nsp] Large File Transfers

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Mar 6 12:15:22 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 09:43 -0600, Dale W. Carder wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:36 PM, Ben Steele wrote:
> > I'm going to recommend rsync mainly for it's resume of transfer
> > ability over scp(given your files sound large), you can tunnel it via
> > ssh using a flag like "--rsh=ssh" or similar for security
>
> I would second the use of rsync for it's ability to bail
> you out of an incomplete transfer among other things.

I'd recommend rsync too, but just remember that the "partial" uses the
usual rsync optmisation which is rather processor intensive. If we're
talking > 100 mbps it's sometimes faster just to let it transfer the
files from the beginning.

Rsync is very flexible by the way, since it can use several kinds of
transfer, like SSH and RSH, besides the rsync-daemon protocol.

> If you use either scp or rsync over ssh and you need it to
> actually perform like ftp, you probably want to install the
> patches available here:
> http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

Yes, that's a very good idea for "big fat pipes".

Regards,
Peter