[c-nsp] GRE vs IPIP

neal rauhauser nrauhauser at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 18:28:40 EST 2008

   Felix,

      The IP in IP encapsulation slips right through any provider, while GRE
is protocol 47 and may be filtered (just like PPTP). I use both with
primarily EIGRP as the IGP in the tunnel and they both work fine. Do look
into the tunnel protection mode stuff - much easier than traditional crypto
maps for protecting traffic. Here are some hints on what to do ...

crypto isakmp policy 1
 encr 3des
 hash md5
 authentication pre-share
 group 2

crypto ipsec transform-set REMOTES ah-md5-hmac esp-3des

crypto ipsec profile VPN-REMOTES
 set transform-set REMOTES

interface Tunnel50
 tunnel mode ipsec ipv4
 tunnel protection ipsec profile VPN-REMOTES