[c-nsp] FW: GRE vs IPIP

Mark Lewis mark at mjlnet.com
Mon Mar 10 09:57:29 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Lewis [mailto:mark at mjlnet.com]
Sent: 10 March 2008 13:57
To: 'neal rauhauser'
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] GRE vs IPIP

>    Felix,
>
>       The IP in IP encapsulation slips right through any provider, while
> GRE
> is protocol 47 and may be filtered (just like PPTP).

Eeeer, perhaps I am missing something here, but I thought the question was
about using GRE/IP-IP *over* IPsec (rather than the other way around). If
that is the case (and assuming ESP with a non-null encryption alg is in the
mix), the provider could (hopefully!) only see IP prot 50/51 (ESP/AH),
rather than GRE/IP-IP.

So, filtering, unless it's filtering of 50/51 (!), shouldn't come into it...

Mark