[c-nsp] 12008 GRPB memory problem.

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Mar 10 15:28:19 EDT 2008

Troy Beisigl wrote:
> Does anyone know why a 12008 with dual GRPBs with 256M each would run out of
> memory with a single full BGP feed? We have a 7507 RSP4 with 256M and it
> runs fine with about 50M free. The GSR runs out of memory and shuts off dCEF
> and stops functioning when connected in place if the 7507. We are upgrading
> the RAM in it to 512M, but this seems strange that we would be using more
> ram in one router than we would in the other.

Can't say why, exactly, but generally speaking there's no reason to be
surprised - they're two different architectures.  Aside from ordering
gear with maximum memory (I just tell my sales rep "max bling" and he
knows what I mean), you'd do well to bring up one device of each family
and document the native memory usage.

pt