[c-nsp] Prepare for router Wednesday

Jason Gurtz jasongurtz at npumail.com
Tue Mar 11 11:51:31 EDT 2008

> 	Actually, I know who did this and they're on the list
> last I knew, so there is a chance for your feedback to be read.

Hey that's great. :)

> 	I think it's a challenge coming with any system that is
> perfect.  The issue here is balance.  This strikes a balance in
> favor of expecting a level of uptime from your ISPs.  If they
> were rebooting once a month you might not be very happy.

As another person noted, severe issues will be dealt with on demand so
it's not as bad as it could be.  Yet, who decides if an issue is severe?
Why should Cisco be determining the maintenance window to this IMO rather
lengthy degree.  Granted, we're not talking about windows patching, but
still...

Also agreed, it's a tough balance.  However, I'm a big believer in
properly implemented maintenance windows.  This means *actually
communicating* to the customer well ahead of time and then periodic
reminders about these service outage events.  Having a regularly scheduled
window (also w/ reminders all over) also is a big help.  There are always
corner cases, but people can be manipulated into being happily flexible.

My experience has been this:  I call a day ahead of time and let foo
business dept know that I will be taking equipment off line for 10
minutes.  The manager is pissed but generally relents.  On the next day,
the manager stalls and I have to stay later to do the work.  My experience
is also this:  I call a week ahead of time with the same 10 minute outage.
I follow up a couple of days before the event with a reminder, "are you
still all set?"  Manager happily accommodates and everything generally
works out with little fuss (barring technical difficulties). Not only
that, they become happy that the I.T. staff is proactive and looking out
for *their* best interest.  The greater the outage, the further out the
communication...this obviously also varies with what equipment and impact,
etc...

Different markets are different, but I would hope ISPs would consider
taking a similarly proactive approach to patching.  I know none of mine do
:(  I especially hope their vendor will not dictate their approach for
them.

~JasonG