[c-nsp] MLPPP product from the provider point of view

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Mar 12 09:07:51 EDT 2008

Hey all,

Thought I would ping the list and try to benefit from the collective
experience.

- We show that testing can leave 15-30% bandwidth on the table per link,
  should this be acceptable or should more troubleshooting be done?

- Is it really neccessary to utilize Mutltilink interfaces on the
provider side if using a 7200 as opposed to 7500 which seem to only
require a Virtual-Template?

- In theory, one virtual template can be used for all mlppp customers,
as they will establish seperate bundles with their endpoint
discriminators, correct?

- Its not neccessary to embed interface ip on the virtual template, ip
unnumbered loopback works just fine, is this a common approach?

- Using ip unnumbered loopback on the customer side in its multilink
interface results in the customer ppp ipcp negotiation assigning the
customer loopback ip to its ppp session. Is this a common approach? Is
it secure?

- We are using mlppp with ppp authorization deliberately turned off. We
are considering redeploying with it on, so as to leverage radius for
things like assigning the Framed-IP-Address and Framed-Route for the
MLPPP customers. Is this a common approach and what are the downsides?

- Is there any gain to be had with LFI on low latency DS1 circuits
(10-20ms rtt for small pings)? How about higher with rtt, such as 50-100ms?

- %FR-3-MLPOFR_ERROR: MLPoFR not configured properly on Link
Virtual-Access1 Bundle Multilink1 :Frame Relay traffic shaping must be
enabled

This is apparently a cosmetic bug. However, it is worse than that. If
you go ahead and place the "frame-relay traffic-shaping" command on you
bundle physical interfaces, you will turn your bundle in a packet losing
84kbps max throughput bandwidth circuit. Cute trap for the unwary.

How is traffic shaping SUPPOSED to be utilized with MLPPP bundles?

- Up to how many circuits in a bundle should be considered practical? 2?
4? 8? 16?

-  Multichassis Multilink PPP

Can this be used in a mlppp over atm pvc environment? Is this a common
approach? What are the gotchas? Anyone have some config examples?

Thanks to all in advance,

Joe