[c-nsp] Cisco 10k?

Jason Berenson jason at pins.net
Wed Mar 12 23:40:07 EDT 2008

Greetings,

We currently have 3 7206VXRs with NPE-300's in them.  Adding PA-MC-T3
cards for DS1 edge connectivity at $3800/port is starting to get really
unbearable.  So I started to look at the Cisco 10k and noticed that an 8
port channelized DS3 card turns out to be around $1800/port.  I've done
a lot of research on the 10k and am interested in migrating away from
the 7206's.

I'd like to use the 10k as our core edge router, it would need to run
QoS, VRFs, OSPF, BGP, vlans (would expect that), connectivity for TLS
customers and eventually DS1 channelized OCx ports to connect to our
Turin DAX so we can move away from copper and towards the light so to
speak.  :)

If anyone could give me input on their experience with the 10k as a 7206
replacement as well as any input on models of the PREs that I should be
looking at and models on different cards like channelized DS3 and OCx
cards I would greatly appreciate it.  I'd most likely go with 48V power
since we already have a distribution system in place.

The more information the better, I'd like to start looking at ebay for
parts and get a pitch setup for the higher-ups.  Any input/experience on
the feasibility of selling off the VXRs and expensive DS3 cards would be
good too.  I'd also like to hear what people would expect me to be
paying for each of the components needed to put together a fully
functional 10k.

Thanks,
Jason