[c-nsp] Securing virtual networks

Nate Carlson cisco-nsp at natecarlson.com
Thu Mar 13 19:04:59 EDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Higham, Josh wrote:
> What methods are available for making sure that no traffic leaks between
> virtual networks?  I am looking at doing some sort of virtualization for
> a small enterprise network (so no software based provisioning) and want
> to either prevent or detect misconfigurations.

What type of virtualization are you talking about? Something like
VMWare/Xen, or network virtualization?

If VMware/Xen, just split up your networks by VLAN as usual, trunk the
VLAN's to the management domain for your virtualized environment, and
assign the guests whatever VLAN they should be on.

> If I restrict the address ranges I can use netflow and ACLs, but that
> removes one of the benefits.  This isn't a hostile environment, but
> would include a guest network so malicious attacks are possible, along
> with the obvious virus issues.

OK - so put the guest network off on it's own VLAN, and isolate it.