[c-nsp] OSPF - Prefer inter-area over intra-area

nachocheeze at gmail.com nachocheeze at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 03:01:21 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:05 PM, David Coulson <david at davidcoulson.net> wrote:
> Why not make your life easy and just run BGP between them?

Just to clarify, these are not "routed over to the Internet"
links...both of the circuits between Hub and site A and Hub and site B
are straight layer 2 connections (even though they pass thru telco
central offices).  Basically, consider it to act just like a campus
Ethernet link between two buildings via SM fiber that are 100 yards
apart...just in this case, they're physically (and transparently)
crossing an entire city metropolitan area over a telco infrastructure.

In fact, there's some legacy vlans on site B that even though they're
run clear across town, they're still on the same broadcast domain as
some vlans at the Hub (Note...this is NOT done over our own overlay
MPLS network with L2 VPNs...this is really just a plain old cross-town
L2 link.  The implementation may involve MPLS VPNs at the carrier
level, but it's nothing that extends to our usage).

All of the IP space and the associated vlans across the network are
part of a single autonomous system.  The Internet uplinks are
physically located upstream at the Hub site.

That being the case, I'm not quite sure that BGP would be the answer,
unless I'm really just tired and not thinking.