[c-nsp] IOS version

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Mar 18 19:27:05 EDT 2008

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Mark Tech wrote:
>>
>>> We currently run Cisco 7206VXR's using c7200-p-mz.122-25.S train in an
>>> ISP environment. I am looking to get some 6500's but I'm a little
>>> confused as to which IOS to get as 12.2 'service provider' seems to just
>>> have deferred software.
>>>
>>> Other than that the only other options are 12.2.33-SXH1 (ED) and
>>> 12.2.18-SXF13 (ED). Can someone point me in the right direction as to
>>> what IOS/Software Feature Set to use for 6500's with a sup720 in an ISP
>>> environment
>>
>> You should look into the 7600 with 12.2SR, that is the service provider
>> centered version of the 6500.
>
> Isn't that not really an option anymore if he actually has 6500 boxes?

He states above "looking to get some 6500's".

I would advice against getting 6500 and instead getting 7600 if purchased
new from Cisco, due to the 7600 BU not allowing SR to be run on 6500
chassis. With 7600 you have both options.

> Speaking as a service provider who's been using 6500s for a couple
> years, 12.2SX? should be fine assuming whatever features you need are
> there. We've run 12.2SXD and 12.2SXF.

Yes, SXF is very mature, but if he's looking to go brand new I think it
would be a very bad not to advice to at least check up on 7600 and SR
before making the decision.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se