[c-nsp] Something I was thinking about whilst idle the other day.

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Wed Mar 19 22:00:30 EDT 2008

> It's only bad if the process using it is starving other processes from
> doing their job correctly (icmp echo is not an important job).

Try telling that to customers.

Get a router that is reasonably busy during peak times, and you'll get
your occasional "know it all wannabe network engineer" who will email in
and kindly "let you know" that a link is saturated, or there is packet
loss, or a router has a fault because it is too busy to respond to an ICMP
echo request.