[c-nsp] Something I was thinking about whilst idle the other day.

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Mar 20 08:48:21 EDT 2008

Tracing connectivity issues were a lot easier in the days when routers
consistently responded to ICMP packets and ICMP wasn't filtered.  It's only
made troubleshooting more difficult, not easier.  I understand the need for
DoS protection (applied perhaps via rate-limiting based on combination of
source IP and quantity), but realistically, ICMP packets make up an
infinitesimally small percentage of the packets any router interacts with.

Frank