[c-nsp] bgp redistribution timers

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Mar 20 11:56:54 EDT 2008

Uddin, Tahir <> wrote on Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:27 PM:

> If I have a bgp timer of 30 90 seconds and redistributing into eigrp
> with default timers 5 15 seconds, would the downstream eigrp neighbor
> reroute after 90 seconds or 90 + 15 = 105 seconds.

there is no such thing as a "redistribution timer", the timers you've
mentioned are related to hello/adjacency management, i.e. to declare a
neighbor dead. Once EIGRP or BGP notice a route going away (for whatever
reason), this will be reflected pretty much immediately in the other
routing protocol and updates will be sent. You need to take into account
protocol-specific timers such as minimum-advertisement-interval for BGP,
but there is no delay in the actual redistribution mechanism..

	oli