[c-nsp] L3 to access layer

Mike Louis MLouis at nwnit.com
Fri Mar 21 10:29:09 EDT 2008

If you require a common VLAN across multiple access layer switches, l3 to access can present problems. I ran into this with a wireless AP deployment that was still using autonomous APs. We solved the issue by using a L2/L3 trunk. We trunked the wireless vlans and terminated the closet wired vlans on the closet switch. This gave us a smooth migration to LWAPP when the time came. Then we removed the L2 trunk entirely and went L3 only. You also end up creating a lot more subnets as well if you have low density fixed configuration switches in the closet and don't stack them.