[c-nsp] Proxy ARP -- To disable, or not to disable..

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Mar 21 17:28:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:12:45PM -0700, Eric Cables wrote:
> A recent network audit has discovered that Proxy ARP is enabled on pretty
> much every L3 interface in the network.  As a Cisco default, this isn't
> surprising, since no template configs have it disabled.
>
> The question is: whether or not I should go back and disable it, or just
> leave it be, since it doesn't appear to be causing any problems.

Disable it, but expect surprises.

Proxy arp is a wonderful way to hide network misconfigurations - like
"machines configured with a wrong subnet mask" *usually* will "just work"
(thanks to proxy ARP), but all of a sudden fail due to a seemingly
unrelated network change.  So if you turn it off, it might uncover existing
issues that have been masked.

Which is why I think that having proxy ARP on-by-default is a massively
stupid idea - it might seem like a nice and helpful feature, but as it
hides *other* problems, in the end, the issues are alway going to be
*more* nasty than without proxy ARP.

(Selectively enabled, it can be a nice and very useful tool.  But not
on-by-default).

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de