[c-nsp] Proxy ARP -- To disable, or not to disable..

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Sat Mar 22 11:32:58 EDT 2008

"brainwashed crap"  Are you trolling?

If you read the RFC's for gateway requirements it does not say that gateways
MUST or SHOULD use proxy ARP.  However, it is strongly suggestive that most
gateways DO use proxy ARP, and makes references to other RFC's which state
plainly that it is in common use.  "Because it has to be" refers to the need
for it is most clueless networks where the network administrators don't
understand octet boundary subnetting, let alone subnet boundaries on any bit
position or, God help them, variable subnet masks.

If the network administrator has a clue, it should be no big deal in
remembering to turn it off.  There are a host of things that need to be
setup on a router, some of which can't have appropriate defaults because
they require network-specific settings.  I did not think it was necessary to
explain this.

HTH,

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697