[c-nsp] Router security defaults (WAS RE: Proxy ARP -- To disable, or not to disable..)

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Mon Mar 24 16:43:46 EDT 2008

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Fred Reimer wrote:
>> Exactly, autosecure is just a macro.  It is always advisable to check the
>> actual router configuration after it is completed.  The engineer should make
>> sure they understand how all of the commands implemented, and if they don't
>> research them and make sure they know of any caveats.
>
> Is there anything similar that will allow me to take a router
> configuration file and interactively process it on an external system to
> increase security on my router?

Yes.  You can use RAT (Router Audit Tool).

http://www.cisecurity.org/

However that still doesn't exempt the admin from knowing exactly what
each and every suggested command does.  RAT bitches and moans about my
configs because I don't ever set VTY passwords.  RAT doesn't have the
ability to recognize that they are not needed in my scenario because I
utilize full AAA.  RAT is programmed to look for certain things and give
the pre-determined output.  It's still a good tool but you have to
understand what it's telling you to figure out if in fact there is a
problem to be addressed.

As always with security, there is no silver bullet.

Justin