[c-nsp] BGP Router Considerations

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Wed Mar 26 12:02:15 EDT 2008

Hi folks.

Looking for some input on a network design.  Today, pair of 6509's with
Sup2/MSFC2 and a Cisco 12012 GSR make up the distribution and core routing.

What I'm considering is removing the 12012 because of the space it consumes
(does all BGP today) and replacing it with a pair of 7606's Sup720-3BXL etc

For BGP edge that's feeding 3 full BGP transit feeds and a couple hundred
peering sessions will the Sup720-3BXL cope ok from a memory perspective.
The traffic is not a lot (500Mb/s or so) on this network .

My final version would be a pair of 6509's doing core switching
(distribution layer routing) in a mesh configuration to a pair of 7606's
doing core routing .. Should I be looking at small GSR's for the core
routing instead?

Thanks for any feedback.. We have lots of 6500's but everyone keeps telling
me lately to go 7600 series instead??

Paul