[c-nsp] System MTU on trunks for Q in Q

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Mar 26 22:01:47 EDT 2008

On Thursday 27 March 2008, Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:

> I still haven't found any reason for keeping a low MTU on
> L2 switches (although i don't know if any L2 protocols
> can generate such large "frames" which could possibly get
> dropped in a 1500 link).

We have gone with 9,000 bytes across the network (well,
where it's supported depending on what kit is sitting on
the LAN).

This is how we found out the PA-GE only supports 4,470
bytes :-(.

MTU nasties wreak havoc on OSPF adjacency formations - it
only takes one router that doesn't support large MTU's on
the segment to kill the whole "jumbo-frame-support"
initiative.

Mark.