[c-nsp] Prepare for router Wednesday

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Mar 26 22:06:09 EDT 2008

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Whisper wrote:

> I've decided I do not like Router Wednesday
>
> 1 or 2 advisories in a day and you will probably read them thoroughly, like
> you should.
>
> 5 or more of them more or less altogether and I think a lot of people will
> only start binning them, as we don't have the time to dedicate to reading 5
> fairly long e-mails all in 1 go.

I didn't read all of them end to end, but it was nice that they included
the URLs for all of the advisories individually.

Personally, I'm glad that Cisco is forthcoming about issues like these.
Sure anyone with a job title like "Network Engineer" is likely very busy
with 15,000 other things, but these are things that are definitely
important enough not to throw in the trash, sight unseen.

Look over the "Affected Products" and "Details" sections.  If this
includes something that you're running, read the "Impact",  "Software
Versions and Fixes" and "Workarounds" sections.  If you're running code
that is vulnerable, then you know what to do or how you can work around
the problem and reading them this way should allow you to quickly
understand the gist of the problem, if it affects you, and what to do if
it does.

For example one of the vulnerabilities was a DLSw issue.  If you're not
running DLSw anywhere, then there's not much need to continue reading that
bulletin.

jms