[c-nsp] 12.2 SRC opinions?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sun Mar 30 16:37:19 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 01:51:41PM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> For every negative 'it'll blow up in your face in 1s' there are
> large bunch of people you'll never hear from who are happy with
> given solution. Unfortunately as IOS is rather bug-ridden,
> like all large pieces of software are, it's really hard
> to use other success or catastrophe stories are reliable
> measurements on how the software will fare on your network.
>  Best practice is to pick late software that's had few
> rebuilds and start labbing from there.

I have a couple of relatively simple boxes production boxes running SRC
and doing straight v4/v6 routing (no mpls, no vpns, no qos, nothing even
slightly fancy) and so far the only "major" problem was an aaa issue early
on. The first couple times I tried upgrading a box to SRC, aaa was broken
in such a way that it would immediately kick you out without ever giving
you a login prompt, even on console. The only way to get back in was to
break it at rommon and load a different version of code. After removing
extraneous aaa code (we suspected "aaa accounting system" was causing it)
it stopped happening.

Not to jinx it, but so far SRC has been better than SXH1 (which doesn't
want to log interface state transitions at all). Sad that we have to run
such horribly unstable code to get netflow which has even a vague hope of
working, and route-map continue which works when applied outbound, but
thats Cisco for you. :)