[c-nsp] Monitor bandwidth utilization threshold on interface

Jorge Evangelista netsecuredata at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 16:37:03 EDT 2008

Hi list,

Is there some way that I can configure my router to sent alerts to syslog
server or send alerts to a email when bandwitdh utilization is more
80% percent in WAN. Currently, I am trying to configure RMON with examples
Cisco IOS Cookbook, I have configured a cisco 871 to sent alerts to syslog
server, however it does not work. How can I configure to get correct value
or is there other way, maybe with IP SLA.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

I have configured in this way:

rmon event 1 log trap PCMTRAP description "Bandwidth utilization has
exceeded threshold on Router interface FastEthernet4" owner monitor
rmon event 2 log trap PCMTRAP description "Bandwidth utilization has
normalized on Router interface FastEthernet4" owner monitor
rmon alarm 1 ifInOctets.5 300 absolute rising-threshold 3072000 1
falling-threshold 2457600 2 owner monitor
rmon alarm 2 ifOutOctets.5 300 absolute rising-threshold 3072000 1
falling-threshold 2457600 2 owner monitor

pcm01#sh rmon alarms
Alarm 1 is active, owned by monitor
 Monitors ifInOctets.5 every 300 second(s)
 Taking absolute samples, last value was 2024088898
 Rising threshold is 3072000, assigned to event 1
 Falling threshold is 2457600, assigned to event 2
 On startup enable rising or falling alarm
Alarm 2 is active, owned by monitor
 Monitors ifOutOctets.5 every 300 second(s)
 Taking absolute samples, last value was -1387701729

--
"The network is the computer"