[c-nsp] Problems doing NPE upgrade

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Fri May 2 10:12:39 EDT 2008

Chris Conn <cconn at b2b2c.ca> writes:

> Roy wrote:
>> A client has a 7206VXR that we are attempting to just upgrade the NPE.
>> When we replace the NPE-300 with an NPE-400 we get a crash loop during
>> the boot.  The OS we are using is
>>
>> Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200-P-M), Version 12.4(8d), RELEASE
>> SOFTWARE (fc2)
>>
>> Console log follows.  Any ideas welcome.
>>
>> Roy
>
> Hello,
>
> Check your bootflash.  You may have to upgrade it to a newer version
> that can recognize the NPE-400.

Yep, that's almost certainly it.  It is *amazing* the amount of
trouble people have with 7200s that is directly traceable to the
bootflash being wildly out of sync with the running IOS load.

Not that I've ever picked up "malfunctioning" VXRs on the cheap that
turned out to work fine after getting re-flashed <whistles innocently>...

-r