[c-nsp] snmp access list

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun May 4 07:23:59 EDT 2008

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:

> The debug shows that the snmp packet is received by the SNMP process,
> although it's dropped afterwards:
>
> May  3 19:53:45.341: SNMP: Packet received via UDP from x.x.x.x on
> FastEthernet0
> May  3 19:55:29: %SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGS: list 99 denied x.x.x.x 1 packet
>

> I believe the acl check could be done first, before it even touches the
> snmp process.

I think that could be quite complicated in the fully general case. The
SNMP server would have to merge the ACLs for *all* the community
strings, and those ACLs could have conflicting permit/deny statements so
you'd have to merge e.g. all the permits and append a "deny any" and
*then* re-apply the original ACL after you'd decoded the community string.

Much simpler is to use CoPP or ACLs for router interface addresses at
the border. This is best practice anyway.