[c-nsp] VPN/QOS Questions Was MPLS - 6500's

Fred Reimer freimer at ctiusa.com
Tue May 6 00:32:18 EDT 2008

The VoIP packets should be marked normally at the ingress port to the
network.  This is most likely the port on the switch that the phone is
plugged into, or on the switch the router is plugged into.  You may find it
difficult to classify and mark traffic on the (sub) interfaces on which you
configure the xconnects for L2TPv3 because the router treats them as layer-2
interfaces (i.e., you can't assign an IP address to them, etc).  With the
VoIP properly marked before they get to the router, as they should be, you
can use the tos reflect feature to copy the TOS bytes of the packets coming
into the router (even though they are treated as "layer-2" packets) to the
L2TPv3 header that is sent out the router.  The resulting L2TPv3
encapsulated traffic can be queued just like any other traffic.

One note, you say you need to create VPN's.  The P in VPN is Private; L2TPv3
provides no encryption of the packets.  If you need a private network you
should use IPsec.  You can use qos preclassify in order to classify the
packets before they are encapsulated; providing a similar feature as tos
reflect does with L2TPv3.

It sounds to me like you just want to setup IPsec VPN's.  You can put the
voice and data into the same tunnel, and with qos preclassify have the
marking on the IPsec header reflect the QoS you want the packet treated
with.  I don't see the need for MPLS here.  At 5Mbps max rate there are a
ton of options as far as what hardware to select.

Fred Reimer, CISSP, CCNP, CQS-VPN, CQS-ISS
Senior Network Engineer
Coleman Technologies, Inc.
954-298-1697