[c-nsp] Internet vrf, pros and cons

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Wed May 7 08:26:52 EDT 2008

Mark Tinka wrote:

> One situation where we have considered doing this is when we
> want a specific PE router to have access to only a specific
> set of routes on a public border router. Other than that,
> we keep it quite simple :-).

What software and hardware are you using?  If it's "the right stuff",
there was a neat presentation at NANOG42 that showed a cool way to
enforce peering policy on an interface, without having to dedicate a
router to the task.  See http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0802/norton.html and
view David Smith's presentation.  Admittedly, it's only on 12000 E3/E5,
XR 12000, CRS-1, and "other IOS routers also"...which translates to "not
in 6500/7600" unfortunately.

The concepts in the presentation are a little complex.  Just read it
slowly, and read it again...it wasn't much easier with a narrator.  ;)

pt