[c-nsp] mac address question

Paul A razor at meganet.net
Wed May 7 10:58:32 EDT 2008

Joe, so basically I'm going to make up a mac-address and pass that along to
the Telco correct?

Also currently im using a mac address on this router with RBE dsl
connections and the new DSL's getting cut over to this ATM are PPPOE, I read
somewhere on cisco that I should use a different mac-address for the PPPOE
under a bba-group.

So I should just be able to make one up and pass that along to them?

Thanks,

Paul

P.A > -----Original Message-----
P.A > From: Joe Maimon [mailto:jmaimon at ttec.com]
P.A > Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:50 AM
P.A > To: Paul A
P.A > Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
P.A > Subject: Re: [c-nsp] mac address question
P.A >
P.A > Take an old ethernet card, copy its mac address and throw the ethernet
P.A > card out.
P.A >
P.A > Use that mac address.
P.A >
P.A > Realistically, the TELCO is actually asking for what to put in a layer
P.A > 2
P.A > access list.
P.A >
P.A > You want to be able to connect multiple routers, for example with an
P.A > ATM
P.A > switch, so tell them a mac address with the last two hex digits masked
P.A > to FF
P.A >
P.A > That way you can connect a couple hundred routers without involving
P.A > them
P.A > again.
P.A >
P.A > So long as the mac's arent going to conflict with any of your
P.A > customers,
P.A > you shouldnt ever have a problem.
P.A >
P.A >
P.A > Paul A wrote:
P.A > > Hi, we have an ATM circuit that will be terminating some DSL
P.A > circuits. The
P.A > > Telco is asking me for the terminating router's mac address
P.A > > I'm confused as to what mac address I should give them. I know im
P.A > supposed
P.A > > to add the mac-address statement under the ATM interface according
P.A > to the
P.A > > documents I read on the cisco site but how go I figure out with mac
P.A > address
P.A > > to use?
P.A > >
P.A > > TIA, P