[c-nsp] 3550-12T rack ears

Daniel Hooper dhooper at emerge.net.au
Wed May 7 11:44:01 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Hennigan [mailto:jay at west.net]
Sent: Wed 5/7/2008 10:15 PM
To: Daniel Hooper
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 3550-12T rack ears

Daniel Hooper wrote:
> I'm attempting to install rack ears onto a collection of 12T's I have, for some reason the screw holes on the ears only line up on the right hand side of the switch, on the other side the holes are slightly out and it's not possible to fit the ear onto it, it doesnt matter if im mounting them on the front, back or center of the switch, the left side of the switch holes are all slightly out.
>
> Have i just got the wrong rack mount kit? I've mounted these in the past with no hassle's, with the same batch of ears that I have for them today.

>>If the serial number ends in a 7, you need a different rack mount kit,
>>unless it's also prime.

>>Seriously, Cisco's need to produce a different hole pattern for rack
>>ears every time they introduce a different 1U box never ceases to amaze.
>>  There are at least nine different incompatible Cisco 1U rack ear
>>patterns.  When you finally get ears with the right pattern, expect the
>>screws to be some odd-sized thread pattern unavailable anywhere.  (28xx
>>routers are a mild example).

>>--
>>Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net
>>Impulse Internet Service  -  http://www.impulse.net/
>>Your local telephone and internet company - 805 884-6323 - WB6RDV

It's totally odd that the holes are a different pattern on each side of the switch, I'll check tomorrow on the serial number but I needed it to go into the rack today so unfortunately it got made to fit with a cordless drill and removing the shell of the switch and adding some extra screw holes.

`sif cisco could maintain any type of consistency across product lines.

-Dan