[c-nsp] FWSM going away rumor

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Wed May 7 14:38:29 EDT 2008

On May 7, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Dale W. Carder wrote:

> On May 7, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Jeff Fitzwater wrote:
>> We currently have two FWSM running 3.2 and are awaiting new code to
>> fix some transparent mode issues.
>
> I would like to know what you're seeing.
Our FWSM is in a 6509 with a sup 720-3CXL and logically sits between
our 3 ISP as a transparent FW configured with 3 BVIs, one for each ISP.
Our first major issue was that each BVI required a separate IP, not
just for management but so it could ARP for host if it was not in
bridge table.  That forced us to change all our ISP from /30 to /29 in
order to allocate an IP on that net for the FWSM BVI.

We initially did not want to block anything so we could control all
functions of the FWSM, so we disabled STATE checking, Random Sequence
Number generation and all Inspection functions.
What was left, but not clearly documented, was DNS-GUARD which only
allows the first response thru then closes the connection.   This made
many DNS (things) fail on campus.
It turned out that there is no way to disable it.

We are in the process of testing BETA code.

So we have had our FWSM for about a year of just sitting in the chassis.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University