[c-nsp] MPLS over Ethernet?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed May 7 19:13:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:47 -0700, Eric Andrews wrote:
> I'm a bit confused if this is possible: I have a number of CPE devices
> that speak MPLS natively. I'd like to aggregate them all using a basic
> layer 2 switch (like a 2960) to my PE. Am I correct in assuming that
> ethernet is ethernet is ethernet and thusly if the switch doesnt
> understand MPLS, it can still switch/trunk the traffic?

If you're asking whether you can switch MPLS traffic, then yes, that's
no problem. And the switch doesn't need to understand MPLS to switch
Ethernet-encapsulated MPLS packets. We have a few places where P-to-P
MPLS connections are switched VLANs running through some C3560s.

Keep an eye out for MTU related problems though.

Regards,
Peter