[c-nsp] Ethernet Freezeup

Andre Beck cisco-nsp at ibh.net
Thu May 8 11:57:35 EDT 2008

Hi,

just to give a status followup:

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 12:13:45PM +0200, Andre Beck wrote:

>  nexus#sh track
>  Track 1
>    Response Time Reporter 1 reachability
>    Reachability is Up
>      1 change, last change 18:11:20
>    Latest operation return code: OK
>    Latest RTT (millisecs) 1
>    Tracked by:
>       applet duck-reachable
>
> Looks like it would work - but only time will tell. Given the Heisenbug
> nature of the thing, maybe just running the monitor prevents it from
> ever occuring again ;)

I should apply for the JREF Million Dollar Challenge with this level
of correct prediction of the future:

nexus#sh track
Track 1
  Response Time Reporter 1 reachability
  Reachability is Up
    1 change, last change 4w3d
  Latest operation return code: OK
  Latest RTT (millisecs) 1
  Tracked by:
     applet duck-reachable

Since I hacked in the EEM applet, it never triggered. In a way this is
good (I finally can sleep through again), but then again, what's wrong
now for the bug to no longer trigger?

1) It's a real Heisenbug that vanishes as soon as someone watches closely;
2) It actually *was* a problem with the replaced power supply;
3) It was an issue with a BRI interface that had a bad BRI connected which
   was constantly triggering PHY errors.

To give (1) a chance, I'm posting here, maybe it tickles Murphy just like
it did for Ed ;)

But seriously I'd rather focus on (2).

HTH,
Andre.
--
   Real men don't make backups of their mail. They just send it out
    on the Internet and let the secret services do the hard work.

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-