[c-nsp] cisco 828 "WARNING: Cookie information is corrupt"

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Mon May 12 07:34:22 EDT 2008

Oh yes, those corrupted cookies!
You're lucky today, I've found the way to fix a corrupted cookie just by googleing, but sometimes what you find may look hard to understand, so I can make it simplier for you, I've wrote a vbs script that can be used from within a SecureCRT to recover that corrupted cookie ,just copy/paste this text below, save it as whatever.vbs , you need to first connect to the router with console, reach the rommon> and only then run this script.
When the script finishes, just type "reset" at the router's command prompt. Et voila! If you want a plain text list of the commands you need to enter, one by one, just scroll down after the script.

==== CUT BELOW HERE =====

#$language = "VBScript"
#$interface = "1.0"

Sub Main()
crt.Screen.Synchronous = True
Dim nAnswer

szMessage = vbTab & "Please be sure to run this script " & vbcr & _
            vbTab & "ONLY after you've got into rommon> " & vbcr & _
            vbTab & "prompt and ONLY on a router " & vbcr & _
            vbTab & "with a missing or corrupted cookie ! ! ! " & vbcr & _
            vbTab & "Are you sure you want to continue? "
nAnswer = MsgBox(szMessage, vbYesNo, "Run Commands Prompt")

If nAnswer = vbYes Then
    Crt.Screen.Send "priv" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "assword:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "0000" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString ">"
    Crt.Screen.Send "cookie" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "ersion:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "01" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x01):"
    Crt.Screen.Send "01" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "ddress:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "00 04 27 fe 00 ea" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x3e):"
    Crt.Screen.Send "3e" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x00):"
    Crt.Screen.Send "00" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x01):"
    Crt.Screen.Send "01" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "nused:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "ID:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "01 ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "llocated:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "00 00" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x17:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x22:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "4a 41 44 05 42 30 39 ff ff 03 01" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "eviation:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "6f e6" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x2c:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "00 00 00 00 ff ff ff 50" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "onfig:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "04" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x31:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "49 11 ec 03" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "ddress:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x3f:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x47:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x4f:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x57:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x5f:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x67:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x6f:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x77:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    Crt.Screen.WaitForString "0x7f:"
    Crt.Screen.Send "ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff" & vbcr
    MsgBox "The script has finished", vbOKOnly
Else
    MsgBox "The script was cancelled", vbOKOnly
    exit Sub
End If
crt.Screen.Synchronous = False
End Sub

==== END CUT =====

Here's the plain text lsit of commands:

rommon 1>cookie

! If all 0 then:

rommon 2>priv
Password:0000

rommon 3>cookie

And then answer each question with these lines, one by one respectively:

 01
 01
 00 04 27 fd 7c 0c
 3e