[c-nsp] PIX questions

Gregori Parker Gregori.Parker at theplatform.com
Mon May 12 13:34:41 EDT 2008

I was hoping to see an answer to this, as I ran into what I believe to
be a similar situation a while back.

We had an ASA at an edge, with several static identity NATs, e.g.:

	static (inside,outside) x.x.x.78 172.16.8.44 netmask
255.255.255.255
	static (inside,outside) x.x.x.79 172.16.8.45 netmask
255.255.255.255

Where x.x.x.* are public addresses, and an access-list allows specific
services from anywhere to each public NAT.  All outgoing traffic is
PATed to the interface address, say x.x.x.80, and I'm not clear on how
to enable a host on the inside to communicate with an identity NAT on
the outside...essentially the ASA would be doubling up on translations,
one outgoing, to one inbound...looping back to itself so-to-speak.  It
doesn't work, and I understand why, but I've wondered if there's a way
to enable this (other than having the hosts communicate directly).  I've
looked at things like permitting same-security-traffic
inter/intra-interface to no avail.

Thanks in advance (and sorry if I woke a dead thread)