[c-nsp] CEF Load balancing over Etherchannel (3750)

Paul paul at gtcomm.net
Mon May 12 18:08:03 EDT 2008

It doesn't really have anything to do with etherchannel, that works just
fine by itself.  It has to do with the CEF load balancing algorithm
being exactly the same as the etherchannel one.

This even propagates through to multiple switches, for instance I have
tested it like:

3750 with 2 etherchannels, to two 2960 with an etherchannel link in
between the 2960's
CEF load balance to router on a single port on 2960 #2 (two /30's, two
vlans)

What happens is 3750 sends out both port channel interfaces to each
2960, and on port channel 1 it uses the 2nd port only for the traffic,
and on port channel 2 it only uses the 1st port.
Which means each 2960 only receives packets on 1 of the etherchannels
effectively making it 1gbps instead of two.
Further, this propagates to the link between the 2960's because the
traffic is only going out 2960 #2
so what I see on the 2gbps port channel link between the 2960 is also
that is only using 1 port of the etherchannel.
If i take this a step further and put a router in between

3750 to router 1 to 2960
3750 to router 2 to 2960

for example it STILL has the same effect because it's only based on the
source/destination ip or source or dst ip which the CEF load balancing
is creating.  A simple change to the etherchannel load balancing
algorithm or the CEF one would clearly fix the problem.