[c-nsp] Prove it's not the network!

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Tue May 13 11:25:03 EDT 2008

Rick,

This type of problem is one of the most difficult to diagnose.
If you've exhausted all of your other avenues, then you might
want to consider capturing the network traffic for this
person's session during a time when its "slow".  This is a very
labor intensive process, but it may be the only way to focus
in on the "real" problem.  You will need to grab traffic from
the end-user's network port so thta you can go through the
entire session - DNS lookup, TCP setup, the Outlook/Exchange
login, the request for information, the response time of the
server, and the download rates, etc. - and build a timeline
for the transaction.

This won't, in itself, tell you what's wrong but it will tell
you how long each sub-component is taking.  From there, you
should be able to figure out which one is causing the worst
delay and then research it - be it the network or application.

Eric Gauthier
. Boston University
. Network Systems Engineering Group
. 111 Cummington St. Boston, MA 02215