[c-nsp] Prove it's not the network!

Jeff Fitzwater jfitz at Princeton.EDU
Tue May 13 11:52:00 EDT 2008

Well this is an interesting question and not always easy to resolve,
but some basic tests and a good understanding of how the customers net
is configured helps.

I would assume that the T1 terminates in some switch, router or
firewall, so....

First is it just mail?

1	Does the load on the T1 reflect the load on the host port?

2	Does pinging the host have any long RTT and or loss?

3	Does pinging the mail server have any long RTT or loss?

4	Could the issue be its DNS being overloaded or not local to their
net?  Does the name takes too long to resolve.

5	There could be a local switch issue that you can't see.

6	Is this the only host on the T1?  If not a T1 is kind of slow for
multiple users.

7	Is the host connected via wifi and if so are other users on that net?

8	It could be as simple as a mismatch in duplex on his local
connection if hardwired.

9	Lasts but not least, don't worry we will have a new President soon.

Good luck

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University