[c-nsp] Prove it's not the network!

Nathan have.an.email at gmail.com
Tue May 13 13:40:41 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Rick Martin <rick.martin at arkansas.gov> wrote:

>   How do most of you folks prove that "the problem" is not the network?
>  a particular application is slow (Outlook in the case I am
>  involved in now).

Hi,

Proceed by elimination. If there is someone else in the office (I
suppose the T1 is not just for one person) whose Outlook is *not*
slow, and especially if "someone else" can be extended to "everybody
else" then the problem is not the network.

Outlook can have severe speed/response problems when not kept healthy;
most notably there's something called PST files that have to be kept
at a reasonable size, or re-indexed or something, and people who like
to keep all their mail tend to run into that.

HTH
--
Nathan