[c-nsp] WDM equipment

Olson, Douglas Doug.Olson at pcsbanking.com
Wed May 14 12:03:31 EDT 2008

 I've used all but the Brocade in past lives. It really depends on your
requirements.
Cisco has a nice plaform that supports a lot of topologies and features,
but you will pay for it. Adva will be quite a bit cheaper, and they were
always pretty aggressive on price to try to win the deals. Not as broad
of a platform and not as fancy as Cisco, but finctional. MRV's offering
was more of a low-cost down-and-dirty solution. Worked fine in a set it
and forget it network, but in spans where we saw a lot of adds, changes,
moves, etc, there tended to be a lot more service-affecting maintenances
to changed filters, attenuators, etc. This was quite a while ago, sothey
may have an updated line that does more of those things through
software, though.
On our larger networks we usually stuck with Cisco for two reasons: It
was easier to find engineers that knew the Cisco line than any of the
others, and upper management had the (probably mistaken) idea in their
heads that it gave us more negotiating leverage with Cisco when it came
to other equipment on our network.
Again, really depends on your requirements: distances, number of
locations/nodes, interface requirements, bandwidth requirements, budget,
etc.