[c-nsp] vlan tagging question

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu May 15 03:32:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 07:43:53AM -0500, Chad Whitten wrote:
> I have a non-cisco access device connecting to a cisco 3750 via gigE.
> The 3750 interface is set for 802.1q trunking with two vlans - 100 and
> 201.  Vlan 201 is the native vlan on the cisco interface.  Should the
> access device be tagging packets on vlan 201 or leaving them untagged?

"native VLAN" on Cisco usually means "non-tagged frames".

So in your scenario: VLAN 100 needs to be tagged, VLAN 201 must not be
tagged.

(I seem to remember that *some* version of IOS for switches can also
set the native VLAN to tagged - so if in doubt, check with the person
administrating the Cisco switch how they want to receive the frames)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de