[c-nsp] Cisco ACE Web Application Firewall

Justin C. Darby jcdarby at usgs.gov
Fri May 16 02:41:46 EDT 2008

The general specifications on the device indicate it can handle DSR
(we also use DSR at our site but not on ACE), but it does so by
claiming it can do everything IP-SLB does. I'd check with a sales rep
to insure it'll work (all of the documentation related to IP-SLB and
ACE functionality is pretty hard to come by in our experience, they
don't document DSR well at all, dating all the way back to old CSS and
CSM documentation, even though their configuration documents
referenced it).

The ACE has a lot of features you probably wont ever need and that you
will most certainly pay for related to layer 4-7 load balancing,
though. You may want to consider using the IP-SLB functionality
(essentially, a software Content Services Module) in another cisco
product that supports it, e.g. the 7200 for stand alone, or the IP-SLB
features present on the 6500 series switch supervisors. It requires
enterprise IOS licensing, but in our experience, it's a lot cheaper
than the ACE -- and, if any of the things we've heard about the ACE
are true, a lot easier to configure.

Also to keep in mind: The 7201 for example only has about 4Gb of
backplane and only has four GbE links. It might not meet your
performance requirements. Because of the documentation problem, I'd
also keep the device covered under Smartnet, at least for your initial
configuration, so you can work it out with an engineer on the phone if
you've got problems.

Justin